What sells second hand and how to sell it

Hello, long time no see! :)

It's been a while since I wrote last time and that's just because time is kinda short these days with a crazy toddler and almost-walking baby, aka almost toddler (yikes!) So when I actually have time just for me, I tend to stare at the wall and not do anything for good 10 minutes :D Sounds bad but it certainly isn't as I truly enjoy this stage of life.
As many of you know, I love second hand shopping and selling my stuff as well. Especially kids stuff, namely strollers, babywearing stuff and clothes every now and then. So what sells? That's a good question and as I don't have an answer to that, I do have some good pointers and here's my list:
  • Strollers. If they're brand names, such as Bugaboo or Babyzen (especially yoyo) - brands "everyone's talking about" - it's always easy to sell them. Of course, what counts are, are they still in good shape, kept in the house (no mold in it, please), how old they are (quarantie issues) and their colour. Since they are so popular, you can almost always send them in some price: some people just have to have them (me, ehem.. :D) and if they find one that's even relatively still working, they will pay the (small) price. Because brand sells. I did buy my first Bugaboo frog stroller last fall and thought I'd easily get the same price when selling them but I was wrong. People wont pay that much for a stroller that's not manufactured anymore.
  • Strollers. Then there are strollers that might not be the best known brand but they make decent ones, almost copies to those mentioned before, and cost half the price. These are easy to sell if the price is right. That's pretty much all I can say to that. For example, a few years ago I sold my almost new, barely used travel stroller - you know, a copy to Babyzen with a small size but price so much less (than babyzen). I thought no one would buy them since the brand was unknown but guess what - I sold them in 2 days, with the asking price. These were in good shape and therefore easy to sell.
  • Babywearing stuff. Ah, my new addiction - babywrap. This is fairly new to me since I thought it's just a wrap. What I didn't know about the wrapping business is that sometimes when you buy a brand new wrap (out of box), you need to break it in (kesyttely in finnish) in order to make it smooth and easy to wrap. So when you buy that same wrap that's already been broken (is that how you say it?!), it might cost you more money than brand new cause someone has already done the work for you :) Funny, isn't it? Yes, at first it is. And when you're selling it, pictures are everything - besides the fact that the wrap is in good condition: no leaks, broken yarns etc. More used is better than not used at all. Kinda reversed to everything else, isn't it? So what sells in these? Well, as said here and also, the brand, how it looks like, the fabric and budget of course. I can say that when buying a used Ergo or Manduca carrier you can almost always be sure that you can sell it and even for the same price you paid for it, so in that way it's a good investment. That's because everyone thinks carriers are the only quick way of carrying your child and a sling/babywrap is so hard to learn how to use it. Wrong! It's so easy when you learn it and it doesn't take that much time to learn it after all. Hey, I learned.. :) Besides wraps, accessories such as babywearing clothes and bags sell like crazy. You pay 90€ for a jacket and sell it for the same price or somewhere near - crazy.
  • Childrens clothes & accessories. Again, these sell if the price is right and the brand is well known. With some popular brands you can even make money selling your old ones that aren't found on the stores anymore. That's crazy, huh? I always buy my kids' clothes second hand but mine aren't brand names so mine cost next to nothing. And for some people it's important to sell those clothes too even if they don't make much money on them - better than tossing them away. I, on the other hand, give mine to goodwill or relatives. Besides clothes, accessories sell as well, such as furniture, toys, books etc.
  • Furniture. People tend to look for used furniture that are in good condition. Especially for kids that are moving out of their home to live in a small apartment near college/university for a short period of time. Why would you buy everything brand new? Sometimes when buying used furniture you can even get it delivered to your home when someone is really trying to get rid of it, and that's easier for some people.
What's really important in selling used stuff is that how you describe it (mention the flaws), add pictures of your own product, not the one on the internet (hate when people do that! Do they even have the product their trying to sell?) and put the price right. And please take the pictures on a daily light so you can actually see the product. Don't lie about it - if the jacket has holes then please mention it.
How simple is that? Someones trash is someone else's treasure, they say. Okay, this list doesn't have a lot of information on what and how to sell, but maybe this gives you some idea on selling and buying. It's such a business these days with ebay and everything.
Enjoy your weekend!

Ps. if you're in a mood of going to a cruise this summer, check out Eckerö Line and their summer offers on cruises to Estonia for example. Can't wait for mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down duvets on sale at Hemtex!

Carena Kobbe travel stroller on sale + more sale items at Lekmer!

Mountain buggy duet sisarusrattaat alessa!