Reason I chose Bugaboo Donkey Duo stroller

Many people with two children with age difference 1-3 are struggling with the same thing as I was earlier this year: should I buy a double stroller or will I be okay with a stroller for one and a wheeled board for the older one. I was one of those people, although I did buy a used Phil&Teds stroller (ok, very used) and didn't like it that much (the baby carrycot is way too small for the baby and I didn't like the idea one child would basically be sitting on the ground). (And as I go further, remember - these are just my points of views and people think differently).
So I sold that one way before my number two was here. Just weeks before my second child was born, I decided we still needed a side-by-side -double stroller so we bought a (used one) Easywalker duo stroller. I liked it, no big reason for selling it (again!) but it was kinda heavy and just a bit too large for us: it didn't fit the front door and I don't like to keep my strollers outside so that had to go. We did try a stroller and a wheeled board -type of solution for a while but after one big almost accident at a local mall where my 2,5 year old got really, really, REALLY mad at me for some reason (he was tired) and almost run away from me I decided it was time to get a double stroller. And this time I decided I wasn't gonna get just any double stroller but THE Bugaboo Donkey Duo/Mono one. Quite pricey, I say, but like I said on my last post - I haven't regreted.

Why?

Many reasons but the first top ones for me are:
- easy to maneuvre, "goes on rails". Meaning, you don't have to "push" in order to get going. It's light weight enough for me, even with a baby and a toddler, plus some occasional groceries.
- tires. Ok, you do need to (occasionally) pump them but they feel so light in every terrain I take them to.
- convertible. Yes, that's the best thing about these, if you ask me. You can use it for one child (a baby/toddler) as a mono with the very handy side-basket and only one seat frame at a time. With two children of different ages when you're expanding your family, like we did, or with two babies, two toddlers.. And it's super-easy to make that conversion from mono to duo to back to mono with just 3 clicks.
- seatframes can either face forward and children can look directly at you. Many double strollers don't have this option with looking both ways - usually it's just facing forward and with little children already sitting on the seat it's not always ideal. Seatframes are also reversible meaning with just a simple click your child can take a nap in a sleeping position. I think this one has three different positions when they are facing you and two (sitting, half sleeping/sitting) when facing forward.
- baby carrycot is just a fabric. That's one thing I love about Bugaboos - you just simply change the fabric when moving from carrycot to sitting phase. No more storing huge carrycots when you don't need them!
- accessories. Now we're talking :) I mean, Bugaboo has quite the selection for everything you might ever need; my favorites are cup holders (it's a really good one), foot muffs (especially the high performance one which I haven't quite yet purchased; it's the price again..), seat liner, organizer, comfort wheeled board (the newest one; you don't need a separate yarn to hold it up because it simply just clicks & stays up when not in use - how handy!), breezy sun canopy for summer and many, many other useful ones.
- underneath basket. It's a decent sized one so it easily holds all my groceries when used as a duo stroller with two children.

With all the pro's there are always some cons:
- the price. No need to explain this more. (Although, my stroller is worth all the penny, so..)
- raincover. They..are not that good, let's put it that way. They are that heavy, hard plastic material and take too much room in my underneath basket. Therefore, they're not in use and that's why I use alternative ones (for example Elodie details raincover is a good one and you can attach it to your stroller frame).
- can't think of anything else right now. Sometimes I worry about it's quality vs. the price: I hear a lot of complaints about it's quality and how people have had to sent it back to Bugaboo. Especially the newest model. I have a 2014 version and I haven't had anything to complain about.

Do I still need a double stroller?

That's what most people still think about when they have a 2-3 year old and a baby on it's way. "Should I buy a Bugaboo Buffalo and a wheeled board instead?"
That's exactly what I was thinking about before buying this one. Ok, my 2,5 year old likes the wheeled board and it works just fine to the park and back and he also likes his bike so basically no need for a double one. But, there are days when a double stroller is needed: every now and then when I go and pick him up from the day care he hasn't slept all day and is cranky as hell. That's when he wants a seat and usually falls asleep in it. Or the weekends when he needs to take a nap but for some reason our toddler has never been very good at taking a nap at home. So just like yesterday he was very tired after lunch and wouldn't got to sleep in his own bed so I decided we should go for a walk and as soon as we left home, he fell asleep. Super easy! It's also easier to do grocery shopping with two kids when they both stay put :) Or in the city..I get chills thinking about him running around where there are cars and people everywhere..double stroller is a must in a city, I say.

So it's really about family's own choices whether they should get it or not. I just sold my car so that's one more reason to have this one so we can get to places in no time. I do think even little children should be encouraged to walk on their own and not always put them in the stroller, but as said above, there are times and places where it's almost too dangerous to let them walk on their own. I'm sure we'll sell these next spring when our toddler turns 3 but for now I'm enjoying these :)

Hope this blog post helped someone when thinking about choosing a double stroller (and namely a Bugaboo Donkey Duo) or not! More pictures are on my instagram so check it out :) Enjoy your day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down duvets on sale at Hemtex!

Carena Kobbe travel stroller on sale + more sale items at Lekmer!

Mountain buggy duet sisarusrattaat alessa!